One day, when you were about three years old, when I was thinking of you and the miracle of adoption, this thought burst out of my heart: Love is thicker than blood.
You can make that into a hashtag. I’m sure that came from the Spirit.
But that statement is true for you and me.
Yes, love is thicker than blood!
Father’s Day is here and I just want to let you know that this love I have for you is thicker than blood, or ketchup or lechon sauce. No, it’s so thick you need a steel spatula to scoop it up. Think of the thickest thickest caramel..and it’s a gazillion times thicker than that. I guess you get the idea.
So, where does this love come from? It could only come from the One who is LOVE. From our Abba Father who loves us sooooo much that He gave His only Son. So that we could live life in eternity with Him. That’s heaven!
But for now, here on earth, I have you, and now your little brother, to be a father to. And truth be told again, when I look at you and love on you and your brother, my heart can’t distinguish which is my adopted and which is my biological. Or which is supernatural or natural. God’s thick love has blinded any prejudice I could have.
I know you have your struggles with your emotions when your brother came to be, but I appreciate and love how you lift this up to Jesus. You are still the best kuya ever.
You’re my miracle boy. You are special.
And all the times that we spend together are special and I will always treasure. There are too many to mention but if I had to list down my top five, it would have to be these:
1. Our Coron Palawan adventure. Going to our Caluit safari on a Banca while eating Cheetos puffs and watermelon… And singing happy birthday to you in that echoing cove.
2. Our one-on-one basketball games, chess and billiards games, biking together…
3. Standing under the Niagara Falls hurricane cave with you.. screaming our lungs out while getting drenched and pounded by the falls.
4. Hiking around lake Michigan and just listening to your stories and pouring out what’s on your heart.
5. Bringing you home with me with your first mom that wonderful July day in 2008. You were just six months old, bright-eyed and smiling all the time—even when you farted. (Actually, you’re still like that now.)
I remember being so content, amazed and happy just looking at you, watching you crawl and coo and just be you. You’ll always be my baby boy, Joshy, even when you’re 99!
You were a choice. God chose to present you to me as a perfect gift. And your first mom and I chose to accept this perfect gift.
Joshua Isaac L. Roberto.
You are my son.
You are from God.
James 1:17 says, “Every good and perfect gift comes from above.”
That’s you. You’re my legacy of love.
Joshy, I love you and I’m proud of you. I know God has a special plan and purpose for your life.
Just know that I’ll always be here for you, supporting and praying for you, no matter what.
In the meantime, I’m the happiest Dad there could ever be.
Happy Father’s Day to me…
Because of you.
I’ll be sharing Joshua’s story of adoption and will be interviewing two amazing adoptive Dads on Tuesday, June 23, at 730pm via Facebook Live. Log on to the Facebook page of the Rohei Foundation to watch our last Father’s Day show : Love is Thicker Than Blood.
This letter was first published in https://roheifoundation.org/love-is-thicker-than-blood/